Thoughts about education from a preservice mathematics and science high school teacher in Australia.
Thursday, 14 November 2013
MTBoS Mission #6 Organising
I've been frustrated for a while about finding ways to organise the stuff I find on the net. So far I'm still bookmarking and tagging. I've tried a few different things and looked into a few other things, but they all annoy me in being almost what I want, but not quite. I'm so picky about programs that I use, that I really should just become a programmer myself and make the program that *I* want. If the program isn't perfect, I get thoroughly annoyed with it every time I use it. I simply have no tolerance for bad programming. I think that comes from being the daughter of a programmer.
After trying Zotero, Pearltrees, Diigo, Onenote or Evernote, and a few others I have forgotten, I've gotten annoyed at every one of them. So, I've ended up mainly using tagged and foldered bookmarking (basically what Pearltrees does anyway, just not as pretty) and a Word document. Very old school I know.
The main reason I like simply using Word for at least part of my organising effort is because I prefer to summarise what I've learnt from some resource and then use footnote referencing to reference what I've just written. I could sort of do that using Zotero, but it had an annoying way of saving files and a bizarre way of naming the files. I'm also rather skeptical about what programs I use for important stuff, because, like google reader, sometimes they just up and vanish. Or like 'The Old Reader' the creators up and tell you that they've decided that you must now pay for the service or bugger off.
One thing I will try, once I'm actually teaching, is a virtual filing cabinet on this blog. There isn't much point in collecting lesson ideas for subjects I won't be teaching. For all the broader ideas, I use the Word document. For any files that I'd like to save, they go into the Skydrive in my folders within folders within folders system.
I've resorted to digg reader (with no real enthusiasm) since the old reader decided to tell all its users that they would have to pay to use (and then took it back?). I lost all respect for them with that one move. If you give something to the public for free, don't turn around and start threatening to cut services and expect people to be loyal followers and talk up your program. Not impressed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm with you, in terms of every system being clunky. I think they all require some degree of maintenance, which just makes it so inconvenient! Why can't it just work the way I want it to, rather than the way I tell it to?!
ReplyDeleteI'd also start collecting stuff now. It's way easier to find ideas/lessons now while you're more at ease, rather than because you need them TODAY. Much easier to delete extra stuff. Also, I regularly use ideas of games or activities from other disciplines for my own classes, so I don't think they're entirely worthless.
That being said, I did my MTBoS entry on Delicious. I know it's sorta like Diigo, but it IS free, and I like the tag-sorting.
Yes, true, true, I really should stop putting it off, and start collecting those lesson ideas somewhere other than just in my head. Thanks for the push!
DeleteNothing wrong with old school. I tend to just download stuff into file directories, or even use printouts (gasp). Though I tend not to mark many things off as I peruse, letting my mind decide what to retain. Just not worth stressing over, for me. So I guess I'm the anti-wwndtd, perhaps you should ignore me!
ReplyDeleteOf note, I do applaud the breadth of applications you've tried. Maybe you should just program something yourself! Might make you very popular - or at least give you a sense of the filing system you want.
The only problem I have with downloading stuff is when my hard drive fails or Windows decides that it must be wiped and reinstalled. I think I'll stick with my Word document and bookmarking for now, but I'll give the virtual filing cabinet a shot soon too.
Delete