While scanning through some of the Estimation 180 archives, I noticed that I would have to modify quite a few for my (imaginary) classroom, since I'm in Australia. Asking my students off the bat to estimate the distance from NYC to San Diego (or similar) seems a bit mean. We also have a different currency, so I'm not too keen to use the nickels, pennies and dimes estimations either. I'd prefer to change it and have students estimate how many 5, 10, 20, 50 cent pieces, but then I'd need a bunch of coins and a camera, neither of which I have. With this in mind, I decided to make one of my own Estimation 180 questions, from an Aussie perspective.
Sydney NSW to Perth WA
| Sydney NSW to Perth WA by air |
| Sydney NSW to Perth WA by car |
The 'by road' image is a bit different to the general Estimation 180 questions, but I thought it might be interesting to see students estimates of how much extra distance the winding road makes to the distance between two cities. The image was straight from Google maps which also told me that the distance by road was 3,935km and should take 40 hours by car.
One thing I'd love for students to ask is "Why is the red line curved?" Or upon seeing one of the US examples, "Why is the red line curved the other way?"
I'd like to get the chance to mention, as a tangent, that the curvature of the earth actually has implications for stuff in 'real life'. For example, most Aussies know that driving across the Nullabor from Sydney to Perth is long and straight and flat (and some say boring), check it out and decide for yourself. Yet in the 1960's when the trans-Nullabor microwave communications link was being built between Adelaide and Perth, one thing that influenced the distance between the towers was, if I remember my physics lecturers correctly, the curvature of the earth (aha, so flat isn't always flat) since microwaves travel linearly, whereas radio waves are reflected by the ionosphere and follow the earth's curvature.
However, I have one little issue with this estimation exercise. I have some answers, given to me with no uncertainties. If one student guessed 3,290km and and another guessed 3,295km it would be unfair to say that the latter was closer than the former. It also depends where the measurements were taken. I'd like to demonstrate correct practice/convention to students when dealing with measurements. Considering this, I'd probably give the answer as 3,300 ± 50km by air and 3,900 ± 100km by road. I simply couldn't sleep at night if I just gave my students the answer with no uncertainties.
Big thank you to Andrew Stadel for his Estimation 180 exercises and website, to Google for their maps and road measurements and to Daft Logic for their 'by air' measurements.
I'm honored to see Estimation 180 has reached Australia! Seriously, I love how you've taken the estimation challenge from the site and made it your own. You're also predicting possible outcomes in order to better help your students increase their number sense. Last year, my students asked about the curved lines as well so I love how your curved lines are reflected. Last but not least, I love how you are considering the significance (or insignificance) of uncertainties. This is such an important part of estimation: emphasizing to students that we want to be close, relatively close. Sure, it's fun to get the right answer, but being close is all relative. Flying across the country and having an estimate within 50 kilometers is fantastic. However, if you were giving directions to a neighboring city, it would be significantly different if your estimate was within 50 kilometers. It's all relative, right?
ReplyDeleteKeep up the great work!
Thanks! Yes definitely, the uncertainties would change for shorter distances, which would be another great topic to discuss in class. That's what I love about these exercises, they are so open ended, they could go anywhere!
DeleteI really like your ideas for adapting the activities for your own context. I am in England so would similarly have to adapt some of them. One of the reasons I like the site is that it sparks off other ideas - I suppose that's part of the effectiveness of a collaborative site.
ReplyDeleteIt also wasn't as difficult to make as I thought it would be, and was quite fun to make. I really look forward to getting to try it out on actual students!
DeleteWhy have I not done Estimation 180 with my students yet? I love that you make things your own. That's what teachers do, right? I agree with the above commenter about it sparking other ideas. I'll have to poke around, but I wonder if there's a place on Estimation 180 where teachers can submit their own photo???
ReplyDeleteyes, there is a place to submit your own. OH! That would be a good challenge to give to the students. Take a picture to submit to estimation 180 (filtered by me of course).
DeleteThat would be a great idea!
DeleteCool! Now I'm trying to figure out a way to work in GeoGuessr: http://geoguessr.com/
ReplyDeleteOh that's fun, pretty difficult though! Helps if you can distinguish native trees or if there is a street sign and you can guess the language. It seems to me it could be used for another thing where students are asked to explain their reasoning for their choice. Nice! Thanks for the link. :)
Delete