Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Lessons from TIMSS

TIMSS is an international study on the teaching methods for mathematics and science demonstrated in different countries. Their website contains links to their publications as well as a sample of videos of year 8 mathematics and science classes from Australia, Czech Republic, Hong Kong, Japan, Netherlands, Switzerland and the United States.

I have particularly enjoyed watching the Australian and Japanese lessons and noting the differences. Before reading any of the TIMSS publications I noted that a big part of the differences was cultural; Japanese students were generally more respectful, quieter, but seemed engaged in study, whereas Australian students treated their teacher less respectfully but playfully - In a sense they exhibited more "spunk".

I particularly liked the Japanese mathematics teaching method, with its focus on showing different methods of solving the same problem, and having students figure out the methods rather than just being shown. I enjoyed that because it demonstrates what real mathematics is like. It seemed rather "Feynman-esque". However I wondered how Australian students would react to a sudden change in teaching to mimic the Japanese style of teaching. I believe that the change would need to be gradual, since Australian students aren't necessarily taught how to come up with their own methods for solving problems.

A major part of the Japanese mathematics teaching style is a focus on having the student discover the mathematical methods and relationships, rather than having the information given to them. I can see how this would lead to a much deeper understanding and appreciation for mathematics. However it is much more difficult and time consuming form the teachers side of things to come up with lessons and activities for students to discover these things. Of course it is infinitely easier just to give students the answers.

I also found a nice YouTube video made by Michael Pershan called "What if Khan Academy was made in Japan" which was inspired by readings from the TIMSS research.

No comments:

Post a Comment